REKORDBOX SYSTEM (by Clay Wilson)

10 Likes

Not that I DJ much these days but want to reiterate support of Backblaze, which I haven’t had to make use of, but seems to work seamlessly. I also have everything backed up via time machine to a cheap 8TB Western Digital external HD.

I used to use superduper to clone my system drive to a mirror which, in case of a weird crash or failed system drive, made it really fast to get back up and running.

As far as file prep, I do the same, and especially agree with the idea of using your own logic. i have stuff in folders that might not make sense to other people, like they’d say “why is this track in a folder called boogie?” and why is this track in the “eurodisco” folder and not the “italo” folder or whatever, or especially more ambiguous definitions I have like “new york”, which isn’t even necessarily music FROM new york, but it just has to make sense to me.

Also with playlists, there’s no reason not to have a track in more than one playlist if you think you might be looking for it in different contexts.

I also have a random folder called CRATE where I drop stuff that i think I might want to play for the upcoming event, helps put me in the right mindspace.

5 Likes

If anybody has any further questions on this feel free to hit me up!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Clay! I love nerding out about this stuff.

I’m just about to re-think how I store my full library and dj library and this is very helpful.

Will try to remember to comment on this thread once I pick a direction for comparison.

1 Like

So good to read this, thank you! One question… Do you use iTunes playlists or track Get Info > Grouping data?